What are the benefits of running a Slimline™ vs. a standard anchor?
- Click the "Advantages of Slimline™" tab
Where do you set the tool?
- Our Slimline™ tools are typically set below the seat nipple. This helps Operators optimize well production by anchoring more of the tubing string, eliminating unnecessary movement both above and below the pump. With the decreased overall diameter and tapered flow deflectors, our tools can more safely be set in or even below the perforations, virtually eliminating tubing anchor restriction in the annulus.
We’ve run traditional tubing anchor catchers for decades, why change now?
- You will still get the safe, reliable setting procedure of a standard tubing anchor catcher, only now you have less restriction, better flow by, and more options on where to set the tool. With such a small area between the tool and casing, a standard tubing anchor catcher essentially acts as a choke, restricting gas flow up the annulus. With our patent protected Slimline™ design, flow restriction is significantly decreased and, if placed below the perforations, eliminated. This allows for fluids to more easily fall passed the tool, allowing the gas to break out easier.
Will a Slimline™ help minimize gas locking?
- Yes. The smaller diameter of the patent-protected Slimline™ tubing anchor catcher increases flow-by capacity and reduces the overall restriction, or "choke", provided by a standard tubing anchor catcher. This allows natural gas to break out easier and not be forced through the pump, thereby greatly reducing gas locking.
What sizes are available?
- We currently offer 4", 4.5", 5", 5.5", 7", & 7-5/8" Tubing Anchor Catchers, with other sizes available upon request including unique or custom build tools.
How do they set/release?
- Our Slimline™ tubing anchor catchers set and release the same as most conventional tubing anchor catchers: left-hand set, right-hand release. Complete instructions are provided under the "Product Info" tab.
How much tension can be pulled?
- Our tools utilize emergency shear pins which provide 5000 lbs of shear per pin. The max shear allowed on our 4.5” is 50,000 lbs. On the 5.5” and 7” it is 60,000 lbs.
Are they available in both right and left-hand set?
- Yes. Typically tools are left-hand set but right-hand set tools are available upon request.
We want to keep using our current distributor.
- Tech TAC® sells through local pump shops and service companies and will happily contact the service company of your choice. This allows Operators to continue using the service companies they know and trust while expanding the inventory of the service company. A list of our current authorized dealers is available by clicking the "Find a Dealer" tab at the top of the screen.
What is the emergency release procedure?
- If it is impossible to release the Slimline™ Tubing Anchor Catcher in the designated manner, all tools are equipped with emergency shear pins. An up-strain greater than the total shear strength of the shear pins plus the weight of the tubing will shear the pins and release the Tubing Anchor Catcher
Can the tool be cut over if it gets stuck?
- As will any downhole tool, in worst-case scenarios it may be necessary to cut over or mill up Slimline™. A standard conventional tubing anchor catcher can easily take several days to cut over. Our Tech TAC® Slimline™ tubing anchor catchers dramatically reduce cut over time. We have testimonials of our tools being cut over in as little as 20 minutes, due to the fact that only the slip protectors and slips need to be cut over. The rest of the tool fits inside a mill shoe or washover pipe. This benefit alone allows you to set the tubing anchor catcher deeper in the well with less worry about retrieving it.
What if I’m using a pump larger than the ID of the TAC?
- If a pump larger than the ID of the Slimline™ is desired, make sure that the Slimline™ is placed below the seat nipple. Also, the option of setting the Slimline™ in or below the perforations becomes even more useful. If needed, a slotted joint can be placed above the Slimline™ to ensure fluid flow is not restricted.
Do you have custom sizing available for special circumstances such as going through a patch?
- Yes. Due to the increased annular area provided by our Slimline™ tubing anchor catchers, we are able to customize our tools to operate in several unique downhole conditions, such as setting in a liner or below a casing patch. We modify the tools to the exact, well specific dimensions needed in order to provide a tubing anchor catcher solution.